Nightmares...
from me and not my kids. This is going to sound totally crazy and wacky but last night I went to bed around 2:30 a.m. and had a nightmare and was awake by 2:50 or so. I've never been one to have nightmares or scary dreams really. The scariest dream I even recall is one where i'm being chased by bees the size of cats. LOL.
Anyway, this dream really affected me today. I can't get it out of my head. It started out with me doing something around the house and as I was passing by the window, I caught a glimpse of someone dressed as the grim reaper outside and was momentarily startled. Then I realize it's just the pesky neighbors who are always throwing costume parties and getting wild... sometimes drifting into my yard (this is an extension from a dream I had recently but it's not reality... my neighbors are quite old and very quiet people in real life). So I am relieved for a moment to realize it's just someone in costume. Then all of a sudden all of my teeth break and fall out of my mouth. As I am on the ground scooping them up and trying to collect them all, I see the grim reaper guy still standing there and then start to get worried it isn't just the neighbor partying too hard.... he's like just standing at my house staring. I panic a little bit and try not to look at the window. Then my buddy Karen comes through the door and I say to her, "Did you see that guy out there?" `(she couldn't have missed him as he was right there in the front which she would have passed by to come to the door... of course these dreams never make any sense, LOL) She shakes her head, no and then I call her over to my bedroom window where we can see him out there as well... just standing in my front yard staring... he's like a foot from touching my house. This is where I wake up. Thank god.
It's so weird because I was dreaming like that within 20 minutes of falling asleep. Generally, those types of dreams that happen that fast are just things that relate to what you have on your mind, right? I was extremely scared... not usually scared by my dreams. Interested - yes. Scared - no. Of course, I have never really dreamt of scary movie type stuff... and i haven't even watched scary movies either lately. What's up!!??!! I had to get out of bed with Marissa because she was crying for a bottle. I was almost too afraid to... and I wouldn't look through the windows at all when I took her into the kitchen to get the bottle. Grabbed the phone on my way back to the bedroom and called DH at work. Of course, it took him 5 minutes to get to the phone to answer. He calmed me down a little bit but I kept picturing that damned grim reaper guy and couldn't fall back asleep right away. I eventually did though and didn't dream about it at all.
Woke up this morning at 7:45 ish (of course sometime in there was a bottle feeding that I can't recall due to half-asleepedness) and just had the yuckiest feeling like I shouldn't leave the house. Everything in my body said something horrible was going to happen. I did end up getting my arse in gear and getting to work an hour later. Called home a few times to make sure everyone was okay. Talked to one of my co-workers who was telling me about Carl Jung and the teeth dream stuff... I didn't know it earlier but I guess that is some kind of symbol of mortality. SCARIER! Especially pairing it up with the grim reaper himself. I have had the teeth dream a few times I'm sure before... but don't think it linked to anything specific.
Googled for interpretation on the teeth falling out and came up with this of which i think some kind of might pertain:
Granted, I have my issues about my appearance and getting old, but I think this might be more anxiety or fear of change. I am hoping it is NOT the sick or near death thing and hoping it IS the money thing. hehee.
Then the grim reaper I looked up and found this:
Hmmmm... I think I might have this figured out but won't know until i get some sleep. Off to bed early to see what I dream about.
Anyway, this dream really affected me today. I can't get it out of my head. It started out with me doing something around the house and as I was passing by the window, I caught a glimpse of someone dressed as the grim reaper outside and was momentarily startled. Then I realize it's just the pesky neighbors who are always throwing costume parties and getting wild... sometimes drifting into my yard (this is an extension from a dream I had recently but it's not reality... my neighbors are quite old and very quiet people in real life). So I am relieved for a moment to realize it's just someone in costume. Then all of a sudden all of my teeth break and fall out of my mouth. As I am on the ground scooping them up and trying to collect them all, I see the grim reaper guy still standing there and then start to get worried it isn't just the neighbor partying too hard.... he's like just standing at my house staring. I panic a little bit and try not to look at the window. Then my buddy Karen comes through the door and I say to her, "Did you see that guy out there?" `(she couldn't have missed him as he was right there in the front which she would have passed by to come to the door... of course these dreams never make any sense, LOL) She shakes her head, no and then I call her over to my bedroom window where we can see him out there as well... just standing in my front yard staring... he's like a foot from touching my house. This is where I wake up. Thank god.
It's so weird because I was dreaming like that within 20 minutes of falling asleep. Generally, those types of dreams that happen that fast are just things that relate to what you have on your mind, right? I was extremely scared... not usually scared by my dreams. Interested - yes. Scared - no. Of course, I have never really dreamt of scary movie type stuff... and i haven't even watched scary movies either lately. What's up!!??!! I had to get out of bed with Marissa because she was crying for a bottle. I was almost too afraid to... and I wouldn't look through the windows at all when I took her into the kitchen to get the bottle. Grabbed the phone on my way back to the bedroom and called DH at work. Of course, it took him 5 minutes to get to the phone to answer. He calmed me down a little bit but I kept picturing that damned grim reaper guy and couldn't fall back asleep right away. I eventually did though and didn't dream about it at all.
Woke up this morning at 7:45 ish (of course sometime in there was a bottle feeding that I can't recall due to half-asleepedness) and just had the yuckiest feeling like I shouldn't leave the house. Everything in my body said something horrible was going to happen. I did end up getting my arse in gear and getting to work an hour later. Called home a few times to make sure everyone was okay. Talked to one of my co-workers who was telling me about Carl Jung and the teeth dream stuff... I didn't know it earlier but I guess that is some kind of symbol of mortality. SCARIER! Especially pairing it up with the grim reaper himself. I have had the teeth dream a few times I'm sure before... but don't think it linked to anything specific.
Googled for interpretation on the teeth falling out and came up with this of which i think some kind of might pertain:
Dreams that your teeth are falling out are the most common dreams we here at Dream Moods receive. Common dream scenarios include having your teeth crumbling in your hands or your teeth falling out one by one with just a light tap. Such dreams are not only horrifying and shocking, but often leaves the dreamer with a lasting image of the dream. So what does it mean?
One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you. Sadly, we live in a world where good looks are valued highly and your teeth play an important role in conveying that image. Teeth are used in the game of flirtations, whether it be a dazzling and gleaming smile or affectionate necking. These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others. Caring about our appearance is natural and healthy.
Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.
Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth represent power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Are you lacking power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across. You feel frustrated when your voice is not being heard. You may be experiencing feelings of inferiority and a lack of self-confidence in some situation or relationship in your life. This dream is an indication that you need to be more assertive and believe in the value of your own opinion.
In the latest research, it has been shown that women in menopause have frequent dreams about teeth. This may be related to getting older and/or feeling unattractive and less feminine.
Traditionally, it was thought that dreaming that you did not have teeth, represent malnutrition which may be applicable to some dreamers.
Other Perspectives
A scriptural interpretation for bad or falling teeth indicate that you are putting your faith, trust, and beliefs in what man thinks rather than in the word of God. The bible says that God speaks once, yea twice in a dream or a vision in order to hide pride from us, to keep us back from the pit, to open our ears (spiritually) and to instruct and correct us.
In the Greek culture, when you dream about loose, rotten, or missing teeth, it indicates that a family member or close friend is very sick or even near death.
According to the Chinese, there is a saying that your teeth will fall out if your are telling lies.
It has also been said that if you dream of your teeth falling out, then it symbolizes money. This is based on the old tooth fairy story. If you lose a tooth and leave it under the pillow, a tooth fairy would bring you money.
Granted, I have my issues about my appearance and getting old, but I think this might be more anxiety or fear of change. I am hoping it is NOT the sick or near death thing and hoping it IS the money thing. hehee.
Then the grim reaper I looked up and found this:
Seeing the grim reaper in your dream means the negative, rejected aspects of your personality. It represents aspects of yourself that you have repressed. Alternatively, it symbolizes death or the end of something.
Hmmmm... I think I might have this figured out but won't know until i get some sleep. Off to bed early to see what I dream about.
2 Comments:
holy cow! it scared me just reading it....can't imagine how freaked you were!!
here's to peaceful nights sleep and no more reaper!
Wow Monica! I'd be afraid to go back to sleep. I hope it was just the one night and you've had restful nights since!
Post a Comment
<< Home